No one wants to get sick while traveling. Staying healthy while traveling is something people often take for granted until they get sick.
Here are 7 Travel Health Tips To Help You Stay Well:
Before You Go:
1. Check the Centers for Disease Control travel health page for updates on diseases in different areas of the world. This will let you know if there are any infectious diseases spreading in the area you are traveling to.
2. Get a medical check-up. See if any vaccinations are recommended or required for the area you are traveling to. There are many travel health clinics that specialize in providing you with the exact immunizations and travel medicine for the areas you are traveling to.
3. Pack a medical kit with first-aid supplies you may need while traveling. Also, don’t forget to pack any prescription drugs you are taking and copies of your prescriptions. (Pack these in your carry-on). Rehydrating salts and charcoal tablets are good to bring along in case of food poisoning. I recommend taking Echinacea and Spirulina before and during your trip to boost your immune system before traveling by plane.
4. Buy travel insurance. Many health insurance policies won’t cover you overseas. With travel insurance, you aren’t just covered for medical expenses, but also for evacuation, lost baggage, and other mishaps that can happen on your trip. I recommend World Nomads travel insurance. They usually have the best pricing for what they cover.
During Your Trip:
5. Don’t get dehydrated. Drink plenty of water! If the water isn’t safe in the area you are traveling, make sure to buy bottled water. Avoid ice as well if the water isn’t safe to drink.
6. Eat healthy. It’s easy to get caught up in unhealthy eating habits while traveling. Try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can. Look for markets to buy produce at to take back to your from. However, in areas where the water isn’t safe, avoid fruits and vegetables that can’t be peeled.
7. One of the biggest ways to protect your travel health is to get plenty of rest. Many people return from their vacations feeling like they need a vacation from their vacation. Travel is tiring and will take a toll on your body if you don’t get enough sleep. Make sure to schedule some rest time in between all the sightseeing.